Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Old Wallpaper Blues ~ Ancestors to the Rescue

If you’ve been around here long, you know I’ve made changes in my foyer in the last few years, but that blasted wallpaper is still hanging, 27 years and counting. 

My problem is I still can’t decide what I want to do about it. Do I want to repeal and replace (a little political lingo thrown in for no reason) or do I want to remove it and redo the walls? Neither of these options are easy tasks, so I procrastinate. 

In the meantime, I had a moment of clarity and decided to cover up as much as possible by hanging my ancestors all over at least one wall.



Here’s how it came to be. 


Until a couple of years back, there were photos of my ancestors hanging in my guest bedroom. But since that room is now a man cave, and since I no longer have a guest room 😡 these pictures have been sitting in a closet. Recently, while editing all sorts of stuff, I came across these framed photos and wasn’t happy that they were languishing in darkness. So, I had the idea of adding others and making a gallery collection for the foyer. 



With a little help from twin sister, this is what I came up with. I may change it over time, but I am happy with the results.


These are my people and my DNA cannot be denied; I carry part of them inside of me. Through genealogy, and the miracle of ancestry.com, I know many of their stories, and even the stories of some who came before them. I have shared their stories here on my blog, their hardships, their triumphs, their heartbreaks. 


Every time I walk through the front door now, the wallpaper is still there, but instead of seeing it, I see the faces of men and women who came before me and it warms my heart and makes me smile. They have helped make me who I am today.

***

Linking up with Linda at Coastal Charm and Grace at Home.



12 comments:

  1. I actually love a gallery wall, especially when they are of ancestors and I think it makes a lovely statement when you enter the door. I have a hallway gallery which need to be re-done. You will get no complaints for me about the wallpaper. I had wallpaper very much like yours in a house we lived in in KY and although that was 25 years ago, I still love those small, homey prints. I have always been a fan of wallpaper and if you get on Pinterest, many others are too. I plan on having some in my dream farm house in the not so distant future...that along with bead board and maybe some ship lap. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debby. I'm actually a fan of wallpaper .... just tired of this pattern after 27 years but maybe I'll look at it through fresh eyes now. I lean toward vintage things, so why not? :)

      Delete
  2. !!!!!! PERFECT!!!!!!
    Don't change a thing. I like personal homage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what you've done with your front entry. A very welcoming space for your visitors and guests. With such lovely pictures and other home decor to look at, it must create some wonderful conversation starters as people first come into your home.

    Wishing you a beautiful New Year, Dayle!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant! You have solved two problems at once and just so you'll know...I love the wallpaper, but then I am a wallpaper lover from way back. Another oddity, I never tire of it...never. In fact, I have been known to have to fix a problem room only to replace the wallpaper with the very same pattern.

    As for the ancestors...love it. I can imagine wanting to look and look and look and be nosy and ask all the questions. I shall have to visit that other blog. Thank you for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh- I knew we had things in common. I had that same wallpaper in one of my homes years ago AND the coordinating pattern in an adjoining room.
    I love that all of your ancestors are out of the closet and hanging around! Perfect display. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, I love your wallpaper! It makes such a subtle, fitting background for the photos of those gone before. Both the wall grouping and vintage adding machine combine to warm (this) heart!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE what you did with your foyer. I enjoy seeing photos of family and have always tried to find a place in my home to hang pictures. You did a great job! Plus thank you for your encouraging words about publishing. I needed them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful idea, and it looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my word! I LOVE it! It is so warm, welcoming, homey, inviting, comforting...it is just a joy to look at! And, to be honest, I actually love the wallpaper and how you have the chair rail in the middle and the wood at the bottom...I am probably not calling this by the right names! But, I just love it. I would not change one, single thing! Everything is just perfect, in my opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea! That's one way to conquer that wallpaper!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dayle, I love this idea!! As the historian of my family, I have oodles of old photos. A few of them I have framed and placed on the mantle in my living room. Dozens more, though, are languishing in a box. I yearn to display them, but where is the question...

    I don't have a foyer, but I do have a bare wall along the stairs. That would be the perfect place for a photo gallery of "my people."

    Thank you for inspiring me to do something more with my photos.

    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle