Friday, February 3, 2017

When Furniture Speaks ~ What I did with the Sewing Machine

For years, I enjoyed having my grandmother’s Singer sewing machine in my guest bedroom, ready to use on a moment’s notice. 

I'm not a seamstress by any stretch, but it came in handy through the years and even pushed me out of my comfort zone a few times.


Grandmother bought the machine in 1945 and handed it down to my mother many moons later. I love this picture of the two of them in 1948, a few months before my mother married.


I still remember the day Mother told me she had bought a new machine and asked if I would like to have the Singer. I nearly cried the day it arrived, and the sight of it there in front of the window in my guest bedroom brought a certain pleasure to each day that followed.

But when my guest room became a man cave in 2015, the sewing machine had to go. My mother offered to babysit it until further notice, but I couldn’t bear to be without it, so, in the meantime, it sat in the foyer, cabinet folded, lonely and unused, collecting dust.

That all changed a few months ago when I came to a sudden decision. While sitting in bed one evening, it occurred to me that the solution was right in front of me. 


My dressing table, in all frankness, was never used, so I decided to let my daughter take it and put the sewing machine in its place. A sewing machine in my bedroom was not the ideal scenario, perhaps, but the decision was made and that was that. Done deal.



Since I made the switch, I have been delighted with the change and have used the old Singer many times. 





Not for anything big, but for a dozen little things.





Without a doubt, I will continue using the Singer for as long as it keeps running. I’m even thinking I might try and resurrect my dress-making abilities, despite how limited they are. The last dress I made, by the hardest and with a lot of help from my mother, was when my daughter was in elementary school, if that tells you anything.


I don’t know about you, but there are pieces of furniture that bring me comfort, that speak to my spirit and evoke stories of yesterday, stories of those who came before me. My grandmother's old Singer sewing machine does precisely that.


***

Sharing with Mrs. Olson.


9 comments:

  1. Perfect! Wonderful picture of your mother and grandmother... Hubby has a man cave and you do not have a sewing/craft room? Any chance of eking out some space? (It is one of the best things I ever did for myself.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, furniture does "talk". Mine does!

    You choice of placement is perfect because you can see it and use it. Plus, your daughter has a gift of "talking" furniture.

    The picture of your grandmother and mother is so adorable. You mom looks so happy!
    (love this post!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand that on such a deep level. When my grandmother gave up housekeeping and moved in with my mother the only thing I wanted was her old FREE sewing machine. I have toted that thing all over the country. It is an old treadle and would need reconditioning to work but it is such an important old piece to me. My grandmother's house burned in 1912 and they said she wheeled that machine out onto the porch to save it because it was the most valuable thing she owned (she sewed for people). there are two burn marks on the top. One quite deep where an ember fell on the machine and burned down into the top.
    A wonderful story here today, Dayle and I think it is perfect in your bedroom. AND..I can see where you get your 'pretty' from...looking at your mom and grandmom. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so pretty! Old pieces like this are such a comfort...so many memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Dayle. Glad you kept (and use) the old Singer. But what I love the MOST is your gorgeous four poster bed. Now THAT is definitely my style. Hope you have a good week! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love when furniture has a story. I have a few pieces I inherited from my grandma and great-grandma, so maybe I'll share their story someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a good story, Dayle! Yes furniture does speak to us, especially when it speaks of loved ones. If a bedroom is to be a woman's sanctuary, and if this sewing machine is so important to you, then of course the perfect place for it is there.

    The photograph of your lovely mother and her mother must speak volumes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I know what you mean when you say these treasures offer comfort ... on so many levels. What a lovely story and beautiful photos. I feel quite comforted myself!

    Wishing you grace and beauty always,
    Brenda
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. A SINGER SEWING MACHING in your bedroom sounds and looks just perfect to me. I doesn't even matter if you use it or never use it. It's part of your life, your stories and memories right there ....takes my breath away.

    Hugs and Smiles across the miles to you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle