Monday, May 22, 2017

Sleepless Ramblings and Daddy Turns 90

Dear friends, it is three o’clock in the morning. I am sitting at my desk where, except for the light of the computer screen, I am surrounded by darkness and feeling wide-awake. For several weeks now, I’ve been having to pay close attention to taking care of my back. It’s a long story—my back problems—a congenital issue that first manifested itself in my early 30’s and has reared its ugly head off and on since that time. 

I’ve learned to recognize the warning signs and have managed to avoid a full blow-out, so to speak, for many years, simply by taking to my bed when the signs appear. Today was one of those days, which means I have napped off and on all day, leaving me mostly awake when I should be sleeping, so here I sit, tapping away in the deep night hours. Testing 1 2 3. Is anyone out there?

Life has been keeping me hopping. Three days a week I am in charge of my adorable granddaughter, and it seems on the other days, when I should have spare time, they never pan out as such. So much to do. So little time. I seldom make a dent in my to-do list. I’ve neglected my little garden and am so far behind in my scrapbooking that I’m not sure I’ll ever catch up again. 

Not to sound dramatic, but I’ve learned that whenever I find myself running on empty, it’s hard to give out anything of value to anyone else. For that reason, I’m hardly blogging at all these days. Still, I find myself missing keeping up with you, my dear blogging friends, and I miss sharing pieces of my life with you.


In big news, my father turned 90 on Mother’s Day. I can hardly believe it. Even though he is still in good health overall, still maintains his own yard and property, it seems that every trip home now his voice sounds weaker and his steps are slower. Time is catching up with him and so I cling to every moment we spend together and hold each one close to my heart whenever we drive away.


Although our darling Arabella is not smiling in these photos, she was delighted to be with Nanny and Poppy, as she calls them, and, as you can see from their faces, they were delighted to be with her, as well. 




As we walked outdoors, my heart was overwhelmed with gratitude that I get to share this home place with my granddaughter, that her great-grandparents are part of her memories now, that she speaks of them often.


In other happenings, my dear twin sister headed up a sister’s trip to The Island and, in her usual fashion and generosity, paid for everything but our meals. She's the bomb. To hear the sounds of the ocean never fails to relax and refresh my spirit. And yes, that crème brûlée  was just what the doctor ordered.


Sister time is priceless and I wouldn’t trade my two sisters for any other two in the world. Here we are at another sister's outing in May, the annual Galveston Historic Homes Tour.


Speaking of family, my precious niece will celebrate her birthday in a few days. Those who could gathered for an early celebration dinner recently, a wonderful time of good food and conversation.

And now I must sign off, as time is ticking away and daylight will be here before I’m ready. Please know I have missed you all and that I will keep returning to this quiet space to share my thoughts with you until my spirit says otherwise.

Until next time, I hope you are well and that your summertime will be sweet and spent with those who love you.




***


10 comments:

  1. Hope your back is better soon. Being the only one awake in a house can often be a gift, or a lonely time as well. Glad you took the opportunity to share your thoughts with us. Happy birthday to your dad and happy joys to all the other special fun times you've had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to hear about your back trouble. I have only had a couple of incidents with my back but I don't need any more to convince me how debilitating it is. I am glad to hear it is letting up a bit. Happy Birthday to your dear, sweet daddy...wonderful family photos, as always and I would give almost anything to still have mine here on earth. Adorable sisters pics...you girlies are such the fashionistas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping your back feels better, my friend.
    And I am always happy to see your here!
    Love your family photos, and all the memories you are making.
    My Mom is 80, and I am just beginning to see the signs emerging...
    I too, treasure every moment with her.
    Have a cozy evening, and prayers for a peaceful night's sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always so happy to see you in my inbox, sweet friend, and your visit to my blog was such a blessing to me. Happy 90th birthday to your dear, sweet, Godly Daddy. You can just see the love of Jesus on his countenance. What a blessing he must be to you all! So happy you could be together and trusting Jesus to spare him for many more birthdays for all of you. May God keep all of you strong and together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Dayle. It's always a pleasure to see your sweet face and read your comforting words. Come back whenever time permits. Oh, I can certainly identify with not finding much time after the babysitting days. I'm helping with twin boy grands, aged 1 and a half now. Oh my. I am not young anymore, that's for sure. ha haha They fill my heart with love, though, and I try to keep up with them. But on my "free" days, I keep so busy that my head spins. So happy your Daddy turned 90 years old. What a guy. And Arabella is a living doll baby. Take care, Dayle. Until next time, whenever it may be...Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dayle, your precious daddy is such a treasure. Praying you will help him celebrate more birthdays in the coming years. Sweet memories and pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I've told you before but your parents are so special!
    Pass onto your Dad a, Happy 90th Birthday congratulations from me.
    (I have adopted them)

    Like they say in the airlines, put the oxygen mask on yourself first and then help others. Glad you took sometime for yourself, even if you were awake at 3:00 am. It was a good use of time to let us know about your trips and how your family is doing.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too have slowed down blogging so don't check in here very often. Your blog, Dayle, remains one of my favorites, rather like checking in on an old friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First time visitor coming over from Billie Jo's blog. I have been blogging since 2007, but find that one or two posts a month is about all I can manage at this time in my life. I used to do much more. I enjoyed reading about your family and your life. Happy birthday to your dad - 90 years-old! I am sure he has a lot of wisdom to share! I will be back to visit again soon. Have a blessed and special Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so great about your dad turning 90. And although slowing down he's doing so doing well. I'm finding more and more people are living well into their 90's and even over a hundred. And little Arabella is the cutest thing ever. I love the pictures of her and you. Happy Friday Dayle!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle