Friday, February 5, 2010

Gayle, Dayle, Elaine - Siblings Flashback Friday

This is a picture of me and my sisters, circa 1963, Easter Sunday. That's me on the right. The one on the left who looks like me is my identical twin sister, Gayle. In the middle stands the most wonderful big sister in the world, Elaine.

When we were growing up, one of our favorite events was the arrival of a new Sears, Roebuck catalog. Elaine would hold the book and sit between me and Gayle on the sofa. Opening to Page 1, she would point to the page and say, "Gayle," which meant that it was Gayle's turn to look at the pictures on the page and make up a story about them. Gayle might say, "That's me in the red dress, and that's my best friend in the black hat. We've just been to see the Queen of England."

On Page 2, Elaine would point and say, "Dayle," at which time I would concoct some tale about the images there. On the third page, Elaine would point and say, "Elaine," then proceed to spin her own lively story. On and on it went. Gayle, Dayle, Elaine. Our hopes and dreams were whispered over the pages of a Sears, Roebuck catalog.

Life is no longer that simple, but our little circle remains solid. In the disquieting struggles and fears of life, we come together and find the strength to survive, to move forward, to cope. For that, I am deeply grateful.

**************************************************
This post is linked up to the Flashback Friday party over at Jo's charming blog, Mylestones. It's a new thing, and sounds like a load of fun. There's a different theme each week, and there's plenty of room to join in. I hope you will.

13 comments:

  1. Dayle, that is so incredibly sweet. I can just picture the three little girls huddled around the catalog, dreaming out loud.
    Thanks so much for joining in this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i lved the sears catalog, too... but never wuite like you & your sisters! how fun. i can just see it now! happy friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet memory! We used to pore over the Christmas Wish Book or whatever they called it. I practically had all the pages memorized. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your photo and memory! You all were so cute.

    Enjoy the weekend!
    -FringeGIrl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your experience with the Sears catalog was much more wholesome than ours! All we ever did was circle nearly EVERY little thing that we wanted while drooling uncontrollably. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Precious memories. What fun we had. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, you make me want to run right out and get a Sears catalog! I think child-me would have been great friends with child-Gayle, child-Dayle, and child-Elaine - you girls sound like so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic way to prompt stories. You were creative even then! Loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another story . . .
    We used the Sears, Roebuck Catalog to make paper dolls. We would cut out the little girls and then design new clothes for them. A memeory I had long forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Sear & Roebuk catalog has fond memories for me, also. Thank you for refreshing my memories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dayle, that is the cutest story! Elaine is one creative girl!

    My sister and I also looked forward the Sears Catalog (Penny's, too).

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post! I loved catalogs as a child (and still do). You're so lucky to share such special memories with your sisters. It makes me wonder what memories my girls will have of their childhood later...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome to my Texas=Blogging Gals!! So glad you found us. I'll get you on the next updated members list.

    Enjoyed a first visit here. Come see me soon at my personal blog, too!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle