Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Along the Garden Path ~ Outdoor Wednesday

There's a wonderful arboretum and botanical garden just a skip and a hop from my house. I used to go there a lot when my daughter was small. It's such a peaceful place, ideal for centering your thoughts, or just letting your mind wander. And everywhere you turn, something magnificent awaits.

Here in Southeast Texas, we don't get many "perfect" days this close to summer, but Monday was one of them. So, when my sister suggested we go to Mercer Arboretum, I jumped at the chance. 

Walk with me? 






While resting a spell in a swing, I looked up and saw this.

Who couldn't spend an afternoon sitting on a bench in this shady spot?

This wall of water provides a cool splatter on those hot summer days in Texas.


If you look closely, you'll see a couple of turtles in this lily pond.




So many tree species, I could never remember them all.


A perfect place for lovers to stroll arm-in-arm.

Sometimes you just have to step away from the bad news of the world and find the splendor in an ordinary day. I found it here on Monday ... and all free for the taking. Who could ask for more?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Join Susan for Outdoor Wednesday.

18 comments:

  1. How I miss places like that since I moved away from Dallas. They had a wonderful arboretum near White Rock Lake near my old home. I enjoyed you pictures so much. Thanks for taking the time to post them all:D
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful place! Thank you for taking us along with you on your walk! I enjoyed it.

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dayle,
    What a lovely walk you've invited us to share! It is absolutely gorgeous everywhere you look. "Nearer to God in a garden" - so true!
    Love the "wall" of water and the lily pond.

    ~Jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful place to stroll and take in beautiful nature! I especially liked the water wall --very unique! Happy Outdoor Wednesday! Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. This made me think of that old song, "I come to the garden alone...while the dew is still on the roses...

    ReplyDelete
  6. what heavenly place,
    I feel like walking into a dream...

    beautiful,
    lovely,
    inviting,
    and
    gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://itistimetothinkformyself.blogspot.com/2010/04/awards-are-given-to-jingle-by-kathy.html

    I am your new follower,
    awards await in my place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How pretty!!! Thanks for the walk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very lovely arboretum, Dayle. I am unfamiliar with Texas so it was nice to have the tour of this place. Thanks. Please come by and visit any time. Sincerely, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Evidence of God...everywhere we looked.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for taking us along with you on this beautiful tour of the gardens. What a lovely place to relax and enjoy nature.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So well said and photographed. It's so great to see the outdoors in another part of the country. Hope you'll stop by and see us if you have time. Jane F.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was so peaceful to take this journey with you. Thanks for the relaxation before a busy evening. Refreshed . . .

    ReplyDelete
  14. http://itistimetothinkformyself.blogspot.com/2010/04/from-friends-to-friends-awards.html

    enjoy some friendship gifts!
    Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Carrie @ comfortedbyGod.blogspot.com

    Hi, Dayle!
    this is my first visit to your blog--your pics are amazing! I live in North Texas, so we dont have as many pine trees. But, we do have a lot in bloom right now.

    Im really impressed with your writing accomplishments. Im in the process of writing my first book, which will be released Spring 2011. Its great to meet someone who has done such a great job. Youve encouraged me today to press on!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Photo after photo of tranquil beauty! And how much more special to spend it with your sister! Perfect Outdoor Wednesday post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How I enjoyed my time at this post. I can only imagine what it felt like to actually BE there....You did an excellent job capturing details along with some of the "big pictures" of beauty in your great state!

    ReplyDelete
  18. With each picture I had to stop and imagine I was there...not hard to do. What a wonderful walk you shared. Stunning photos!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle