Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Home is ... stuff on the walls

I've always been a gal who loves simple things... and if they're old, well, that makes them even better.

I'm joining in with Sandy at Reluctant Entertainer (a fabulous place to visit) for her weekly series, "Home is..." Today, it's all about stuff on the walls. Instead of wearing you out by showing you every wall in my humble abode, I'm just showing a few of my favorites... and explaining why.

You're probably wondering, What is that? Well, it hangs in my family room and it is, apparently, a sock holder. My husband's grandmother stitched this and there are actually little pockets where socks could be placed, but it was probably more for "show" than anything else. It's old and I love it.

Also in my family room is this built-in bookshelf. Up top, it holds a visual reminder of what I need to do every day, and those scrapbooks and photo albums? They represent a lifetime with The Man and my wonderful daughter and family. There are 29 albums. I didn't plan it, but that's one for every year we've been married. I'm starting book #30 this week, just in time for our 30th anniversary in August. The family photographs on the lower shelf remind me of what's important.

In the kitchen, there's a coffee theme. I love coffee!

My guest bedroom is my "old" room. On this particular wall are five generations. One of these days, I will post about my ancestors shown here. Fascinating history. (The couple in the oval frame ... that's my mom and dad.)

In my book, a home is not a home without stuff on the walls.

12 comments:

  1. I love your post. You have a lot of sentimental things in your house that really makes a house a home. Your reminders of what is important are my favorite. I can't wait to show my hubby your husband's retirement gift. He is working his 24 hours today as a firefighter in Oregon! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Lisa - How cool is that? One of my husband's firefighter friends makes these. All of the items inside were actually used by my husband during his career, except for the official fire axe that you see. All of the painting and etching is done by the guy who makes them. The photograph doesn't do it justice at all. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I really like the home office wall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, Dayle, the office doesn't look cluttered to an outsider. I love your framed articles. They actually look quite neat. Take care. Sincerely, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. How utterly wonderful and incredible! Love your organization, style, focus and inspiration. Good for you! Bless you as you use your gifts. 1 Peter 4:10

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delight to stroll through your home and view the walls that fill your home. Very interesting sock holder. Don't think I have ever seen one before.

    I can only imagine how special your husbands shadow box is to him. And your part of the office is great. I love the way it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post. I totally agree, home is not home without stuff on the walls. Your office ... amazing. Wow, it looks incredible. My favorite of all is the piano area. I have my Grandma's piano and I love to sit and play it ... inspirational.

    Thanks for linking up at RE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your sweet comments, and what a wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest Dayle, thank you for having visited my blog. Yours is lovely, and I look forward to reading more. Your wall compositions are quite nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what beautiful stuff you have on your walls! I love the 29 albums, working on the 30th...we just celebrated our 30th in Feb!! I sure wish I was organized enough to have those 30 albums...I loved a 'walk' through your beautiful home!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe the items we have on our walls say so much about us.
    Your walls speak VOLUMES!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can imagine the peace you must feel playing your mother-in-law's piano as you think, and marvel at God's goodness. Thank you for sharing your writing talents . . .

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle