Monday, June 28, 2010

A Birthday Prayer for my Daughter

(Photograph of Anna Marie by her grateful mother.)


Gracious God, from the moment I touched my daughter's newborn toes, my heart exploded with love for her. Although I didn't carry her in my body for nine months, I was instantly bound to her by the invisible threads that weave the human race together. She was my child, and I was her mother. Through miraculous circumstances, and after great pain, I had been handed a rare and precious treasure, and when she opened her eyes and looked at me for the first time, it was as if you were looking back at me. Only then did I fully understand that you had been working all along, even in the darkest season of my life.

During the years when I had prayed, 'Lord, please give me a child,' you heard and you knew exactly what was best for me. If I could turn back the clock, I wouldn't change a thing. Thank you for blessing our home with Anna Marie. She is the child I wished for in all of the barren years. Today, on her 24th birthday, my heart is filled with thanksgiving. I humbly ask for your divine protection and guidance in all of her tomorrows.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed” (Psalm 139:16).


11 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your daughter. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that Anna Maria photographed? She was a living doll baby. Happy Birthday to her today. Take care, Dayle. I can see what a loving and dedicated Mom you are. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful little girl, and what a beautiful post. A dear friend echoed the same thoughts to me just a week or so ago about the precious little girl that God has just recently given them from overseas. She is their perfect fit. I love this. Happy Birthday to your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, friends. Yes, that's my baby girl in the photograph. I'll go back in and edit it. She was, and is, my angel baby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey dayle,

    i just read your post on summer camp over at em's. *sigh*...so good...and i'm sooo not ready to do that. i imagine em and i might be there together leaving our girls much like you and your sis did. our girls are only about a month apart and have been the best of friends (like their mommy's) for a while. it's comforting to know others have gone before us, and are still celebrating their daughters. at 9 and 24...and on and on. blessings to you! good to "see" you again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dayle, This is such a sweet story! Thank you so much for sharing this. It makes me think of my little one who went to be with the Lord after carrying him 5 and a half months. I had five children...but losing him was still so hard. Feeling barren..is such an empty feeling. Your sweet girl would fill anyone's heart! She is lovely...

    Love,
    Donna @ Comin' Home
    www.thehomemakingarts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anna Marie looked so beautiful in her blue polka dots. Truly a treasure to be loved so deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sure do know how to make a heart pound a bit faster! I'm sure Anna Marie knows this well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a beautiful post...
    as i was rocking my little one to sleep, i keep thinking how GREAT GOD is...

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful prayer! Thank you for being a part of Fingerprint Friday and sharing your daughter with us. ~♥~

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful post! It brought tears...God is so good to us and gives us exactly what we need and exactly when we need it. Wonderful fingerprint!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle