Saturday, June 26, 2010

Going Home

(Google photo)

On a sultry day in July, I boarded a passenger train in Dallas with my daughter—a toddler at the time—in tow. I had a bag filled with colors, coloring books, picture books, toys, and cookies, all in the hopes of keeping Anna Marie entertained on the trip home.

As the train glided down the track, slowly gaining speed, a restful feeling enveloped me. I had never experienced a train ride before, and found myself looking forward to the next few hours.

But it was not meant to be.

Shortly after our departure from Dallas, the train's air-conditioning system malfunctioned. To make matters worse, an unexpected delay arose, leaving us stopped dead still on the tracks for a solid hour. I spent a small fortune on weak sodas, just trying to keep us cool. Before long, we had eaten all of the cookies, I had read every book twice, Anna Marie had colored all of the pictures, and finally cried herself to sleep.

Now, hot and wilted, she lay sleeping across my knees as we neared our destination, her hair hanging in short, sweaty wisps. It had been a disappointing experience. I longed for the comforts of home.

As the train slowed, Houston's skyline twinkled against the night sky—a welcome sight. Whistling past the folks waiting outside the depot, I caught a glimpse of my husband. For a split second, our eyes met. He waved, a broad smile spreading across his face, as he ran to meet us.

With heavy steps, I stumbled out the doorway and into his loving embrace. At last, the long journey was over.

As Christians, we are on a journey. There have been many ups and downs, many miles covered. We have endured the heat of the battle, and often paid high prices for things that didn’t satisfy. We have cried many tears and tasted the bitterness of disappointment.

But one day, this Glory Train will glide to a stop, the doors will open, and we'll see the face of our Savior. Loving arms will embrace us, as He wipes the tears from our eyes. One look into his face will make the toils of the journey worthwhile. Home—home, at last.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This post is part of "Spiritual Sundays," hosted by Charlotte and Ginger.
Click on over and be encouraged.

21 comments:

  1. What a beautiful analogy. I'm glad we finally got the link right on S.S. I enjoyed the other post as well however.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. Home, sweet, home. Nothing like it. Beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P. S. I have a picture of you and Anna boarding the train. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful story, Dayle. I'm reminded of the old song, "what a day that will be, when my Jesus I shall see."

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  5. home sweet home, like salmon always back home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How is it you always know what to say at just the right time for me? I think you have help from above! Love you, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such an excellent post! I really enjoyed it - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was such a perfect anaolgy and soo well written as always. Your writing always captures my heart soo well. And of course it is just so true. What a day that will be as we finally cross the finish line. Have a wonderful day. Hugs and blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my, that is just so beautiful, Dear. Thank you for sharing that story with us. Blessings ~

    ReplyDelete
  10. dayle,

    thank you for stopping by when michelle guest posted over at my place.

    you write with a simple truth to your pen.

    thank you for sharing,
    c

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful,beautiful story and so full of meaning. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoy reading about your experiences. They way you describe your feelings,("With heavy steps, I stumbled out the doorway and into his loving embrace. At last, the long journey was over.".
    I can actually feel them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh thank you, this is just what I needed today a reminder of what awaits us. Things in my life have taken a heavy toll as of late and I so appreciate the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful picture for me today. I cried as I read the close of your post because as I face the battles, I long to fall in his arms and rest. I find rest in him daily, but oh what a day that will be!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved this story and analogy.Thank-you again for a wonderful story.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautifully written and perfectly expressed. I love the analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can imagine how the dream of a great time spent in the excitement of that new experience was shattered....
    It made me think of a similar trip I had at eleven years of age. A long journey, but on a Steam train. Again, no air conditioning. If you opened the windows the smoke and black soot smothered the air and dirtied your clothes.
    In the begining settling into my seat with all the other children at Sydney railway station was exciting. But by the time we arrived about 4 hours later in the Blue Mountains our spirits had drooped.
    The positive aspect was, the companionship and the views from the window....
    Yes as Christians we are on a journey...
    There will be good times and bad.
    And the bad help us to appreciate the good so much more.
    God bless you heaps.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle