Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Seasons


If you look closely, you can see that the pear tree is having a great season. Every day seems to find the branches a bit lower from the weight of its growing fruit. If the squirrels don’t beat me to it, I plan to enjoy bowls of fresh pears before long.

When we bought our home in 1989, this pear tree was just a sapling. But in the last 21 years, its noble branches have grown, stretching outward and upward like so many worshipers in the sun. It has survived hurricane winds and torrential rains, freaky Texas ice storms, and weeks of drought. There have even been a few seasons of the dreaded webworm. Not every year has been a good one for the pear tree.

But no matter what the seasons have offered, the pear tree found a way to survive.

"To everything, there is a season," a wise man once wrote. And it's a wise lesson to learn. Our lives are made up of seasons—blissful seasons; seasons of anguish; prosperous seasons; seasons of want. Some years find us so busy we wonder if the roller-coaster will ever stop. Take it from someone who's lived five decades now, it will. No season lasts forever; they have beginnings and endings, each one having served its purpose.

I don’t know what tomorrow holds, or the day after that and all the days that may follow. None of us do. But my prayer is not to spend the rest of my life with nothing but sunny skies and balmy temperatures, but rather the strength and the courage to not only endure whatever the seasons bring to me, but to keep producing sweet fruit, in spite of them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




16 comments:

  1. Yep. You just wowed me again.

    Seasons are just line segments on God's everlasting time line. Sprinkled within each season are opportunities to delight in the LORD.

    I'm determined to find fruit in my ever looming season of empty nesting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words are so beautiful. I needed to be reminded to bear fruit in all seasons. Not only when things are all spring and fall, but in winter and sweltering summer, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dayle. It's true that our lives are made up of seasons, both good and bad. Very nice post. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a wonderful thought and a lovely perspective on the future, no matter what it may hold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the anaolgy of the fruit. What a great perspective. I always enjoy your writing.

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dayle, I'm so glad you stopped by my blog today because I really needed the words you spoke in your post. While I await some difficult test results I need to remember about the seasons in life and the wonderful Savior who controls each one. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is beautiful dayle. i needed to hear this today. thank you for stopping by my blog! bless you. e.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bird house adds just the perfect pop of color . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good words for every age. I'm digging the birdhouse. Is it a firestation?

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Gayle (hello twin sis) - I've always believed it was a firehouse. ;) We'll go with it. And it's a feeder, instead of birdhouse. I've had it for a good 15 years... used to be inside though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love it!! no matter the season ... continue producing sweet fruit! words to live by! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautifully written! And I love the comparison to nature's seasons and our lives. The trick is to keep producing good fruit for the Lord in all seasons. As long as we have Him, every day is a walk in spring. When we remember to look up, the sun of His countenance warms our hearts. I've just been through a low spot, and I had to get very quiet and remember His many blessings, and they are abundant like the pears in an orchard.

    Happy Outdoor Wednesday...

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Dayle,
    Your pear tree is lovely and, since pears are one of my favorite fruit, I hope you get to enjoy your harvest! Your message of seasons of our lives is one I always try to remember when things get rough. Thanks!


    ~Jean

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well put, very well put. One really good thing about seasons is that they are usually just long enough to serve their purpose, then the next one comes.
    Thanks for visiting my blog, I do love comments!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well said Dayle! I hope you enjoy your pear harvest.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle