Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Postcards From The Road ~ 30th Anniversary Tour, Mackinac Island

I have at least 150 photographs I could share here from our wonderful 30th anniversary weekend on Michigan's Mackinac Island, but I will try to pick and choose a few of my favorites.

The Man, waiting to board the ferry.

While others took the carriages to the hotel, we decided to cover the distance on foot.

We rounded the corner and there was The Grand Hotel, in all of her grandeur. 
We stayed here two nights.

Guests are given dress codes before they ever enter the hotel.
After 6:00, you must be dressed up.
It was wonderful seeing people looking their best.

This is the magnificent 660-foot porch, so rich in history. Hard to imagine, but people have been sitting on this porch since the hotel opened in 1887. The history is fascinating.



Taken through the window, while eating breakfast.

The view from the dining room.

Everything around the hotel is bathed in flowers, even the garbage cans.

Overlooking the lower garden.

This was taken in the lower garden area.

That's me, waving through the spray of the fountain.

This garden is in a median right outside the hotel's side entrance. A gardener's dream.

Everywhere you look, there's something wonderful to see.

Inside the hotel's carriage, on our way into town.

The flags, waving behind us.

The hotel's carriage takes guests wherever they need to go, for a fee of $4.75 per person. We walked most places, but used the carriage a few times.


It rained a bit Monday morning, but not for long. The temps were in the 70's the whole time we were there. As you can see, Mackinac Island is a step back in time.

Evenings are an enchanting time at The Grand Hotel.

The porch is the most popular place for photographs.
The hotel provides professional photographers each evening, or you can take your own.

If you look closely, you can see Mackinaw Bridge.

This is one of my favorite shots.

I could post lots more pictures, both from Mackinaw City and Mackinac Island, but don't want to overdo it or wear anybody out. I'll save some for another time. Thanks for all of your warm comments and generous thoughts regarding my 30th anniversary postings. You are so kind. I'm grateful to God for this special time with my husband, and never take it for granted. Lord willing, Cloud Nine will be pulling out tomorrow, back on the road again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

10 comments:

  1. Great photos,Dayle. I'd love to go to that island some day. It looks so very enchanting. As for me, post as many photos as you want. I LOVE looking at them! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here. I never tire of great photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you stay at the Grand Hotel? It looks so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, ladies. I will spread them out over time.

    @ Pine Tree Home - Yes, we stayed a couple of nights at the Grand Hotel. It was a wonderful experience. A once-in-a-lifetime thing for us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These pics are gorgeous...what a wonderful place...I am with everyone else ~ I love looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love every picture. Full disclosure here: I sort of wish that I lived in a world where gentlemen had to dress like gentlemen, and ladies wore skirts. I just love it.

    Now, I'm really stuck. Another blog has me saving for a trip out west. On top of that, I am determined to go the Mackinak Island too. I'd better do a LOT of saving.

    (Or scratch off something big in that grocery store thingie.)

    Beautiful, Gail. I can't even begin to imagine what your simple pleasure will be. Every one of your posts this week have been simply... a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pics are lovely and very interesting...
    I'm glad you & hubby had a wonderful time...

    ~victoria~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dayle,
    I just love the photos of the gardens and flowers on the trash cans, Oh my! It looks as though you have enjoyed every minute of your vacation and, yes, never take it for granted! I have enjoyed seeing Mackinac through your eyes, thanks!


    ~Jean

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful place to stay! Congratulations on 30 years together...we celebrated our 30th in February!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle