Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Simple Pleasures ~ A Fresh Tomato Sandwich


On Saturday, The Man and I enjoyed a wonderful Cracker Barrel breakfast in Nashville with one of my lifelong friends, her husband, and grandson. I posted about this in my first "Postcards From The Road" installment, but what I didn't tell you is that before I said goodbye to Sissy, she handed me a bag containing four fresh tomatoes, straight from her garden. She knows how much I adore fresh tomatoes, and I didn't waste anytime in slicing one up for our on-the-road lunch. Is she an awesome friend, or what? For this Southern girl, there's nothing like a fresh tomato sandwich.


Are you noticing the simple things lately? I started the Simple Pleasures series to remind me to stop, to look, to listen, to pay closer attention to the simple things in life. And whenever I do, I'm never disappointed. It might be the sound of a baby's laugh, the gentle splash of a summer rain against the window, or flowers in a jar on the kitchen windowsill. You're invited to share your simple pleasures with us here, every Thursday. I hope you'll join us. For posting guidelines, please click here.
 
Note: If you link up and later discover your post has been deleted, please review the guidelines. As fond of you as I am, posts not using a permalink, not on-subject, and not linking back to this post may be deleted.

OH! I'm trying out a new linky thingie this week. It should be self-explanatory, but if you have any issues with it, please let me know via my contact info located on my profile page. I'm online sporadically during our travels, but will get back with you ASAP. Also, if you prefer the other linky thingie, I'd like to know that, as well. Once you post your entry for the new linky, a small red x will show up by your thumbnail. Only you can see it, and it's there in case you mess something up and need to start over... as if. ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

20 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness that looks like one of the best sandwiches one could ever want. DELISH!
    sandie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could find pleasure in a tomato sandwich every day of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Store bought tomatoes can't compare with fresh ones from the garden. I can smell them now. Yummy...

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dayle,
    Those tomatoes look like the ones I had when I had my own backyard garden many years ago. Yummy! Salt, pepper and olive oil works too! LOL!


    ~Jean

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, just like I don't like the taste of coffee, but I do like the smell of it, I also don't like tomatoes, but I think they LOOK so pretty on your sandwich.

    What a wonderful gift from your friend. Not only are the tomatoes a simple pleasure, but so are good friends.

    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  6. Home grown tomatoes, oh yes, now that is a good friend. Is that cream cheese on the sandwich?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes! I love a fresh tomato sandwich! I also love fresh cucumber sandwiches, especially on fresh bread.

    I'll be back in the morning with my simple pleasure and to enjoy the others!

    Now to enjoy the simple pleasure of sleep...

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fresh tomato sandwich is so good and yes a simple pleasure. I will miss linking up this week but promise to be back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy! I have had my share of fresh tomatoes this week and Oh my goodness...they are divine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love fresh tomatoes too. I have been eating tomato sandwiches all summer and THIS year our tomato plants have done very well---we covered them with netting so the birds would not eat them and it has worked.

    So glad that you have been having a good vacation and got to see friends too!

    I prefer this new linky--nice and easy. (my simple pleasure link is the nannykim one)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dayle,
    The sandwich looks great. My Dad and his brothers used to make, what they called a "mango" sandwich. Actually, they were using green peppers and butter on white bread.
    Thanks for hosting this neat party.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so good this week! So far, I have seen a favorite quote, two favorite authors, a favorite drink, and a bunch of beautiful sights and sounds. I'd say that I hit the simple pleasure jackpot this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yum...doesn't get much better than that for a sandwich...or even all by itself...a wonderful treat and the perfect simple pleasure. Have a great day...

    ReplyDelete
  14. mine's up...
    have an extra sammie? that looks wonderful...now i KNOW what lunch will be :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My mom was the only one I ever heard of eating a tomatoe sandwich... She passed away last September but your post today brought back a sweet memory of her. Thanks!

    Blessings,
    Linda J

    ReplyDelete
  16. FYI, I'm not able to link to some of the contributors posting today. #s 5, 7, 8 and 12.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A wonderful tomato sandwich is the truest definition of "summer" to me-enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the info, sis (Gayle). I attempted to "fix" the situation, but ended up having to delete earlier links and adding them myself again. The numbers won't be the same, but see if you can access them now. It has to do with permalinks. The other linky was a bit easier to correct. Still learning this one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ Terra - Oh, no... not cream cheese, but real mayonnaise!! Yum-O.

    ReplyDelete
  20. mmm-mmm-mmmhhhhmmm - I LOVE tomato sandwiches, although, I'm a toasted tomato sandwich gal :) Anyway you have 'em...tomatoes are the best!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle