Saturday, October 2, 2010

Finding the meaning of the word "is"

 

The twenty-third Psalm starts like this: “The Lord is my shepherd.” And it was J. Hudson Taylor who so skillfully summed it up this way: “Not was, not may be, nor will be. The Lord is my shepherd. Is on Sunday, is on Monday and is through every day of the week. Is in January, is in December, and is every month of the year. Is at home, is in China, is in peace, and is in war.”

As each day dawns, the headlines scream of gloom and doom. Whether it’s the state of the economy, a bomb scare at an airport, or the threat of another terrorist attack, the news is consistently bad. We are warned to be diligent and alert. To be prepared for the worst. To approach life with caution.

It would be easy to live in constant fear, but I don’t. My faith in God steadies me, offering me comfort and strength when nothing else can. Call me crazy if you will, but I am not afraid of the future. No matter what happens, I'm not afraid. If I live, or if I die, I'm not afraid. No matter what tomorrow brings, I'm not afraid, because nothing can destroy the soul. Nothing can separate me from God. Of that, I am certain.

The Lord is my shepherd. And that is why I can face tomorrow, unafraid.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Linking up today with Charlotte and Ginger for Spiritual Sundays.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You're invited to join me every Thursday for Simple Pleasures.


22 comments:

  1. Amen, sis. God's peace removes all fear. Reminds me of a song I wrote: "If I can just speak his name, all my fears go away..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. He IS. So much comfort in those two letters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dayle, thanks for your wonderful post today. Have a wonderful Sunday. Nan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I immediately thought of the old hymn "I Don't Know About Tomorrow, but I Know Who Holds My Hand". Thanks Dayle for sharing.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got me thinking and I looked up, "is" in the dictionary. And it's a verb, which is action, which means functioning. With all this said, God is alive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen! Such great words! Hope that you are keeping well,

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. A big YES to this!!! With Him in our corner everything ends up being okay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, He is. The Great "I am".

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Steadfast!
    ... That's the first thought that came to me last evening when I read your words, Dayle!
    Since I still struggle with fear-consciousness, your sharing has given me much comfort ... thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WHAT an encouragement! Thank you for sharing these wonderful thoughts and word for Spiritual Sunday!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you! Yes He is! He is everything, I love the way you wrote this.
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post, Dayle. Oh yes, the Lord is with us at all times, even in the eye of the storm. No matter what is raging around us, He is in us and we can remain at peace. He is our stronghold, He is our Savior. We do NOT have to be afraid. Sincerely, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. So powerful. We should all feel like that as Christians and stare down the devils in our society.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post says it all. A wonderful reminder that He really IS ALL that we need.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sad to say, when I read the title of your post I thought of a past president.

    How much better to read the precious and encouraging words from Psalm 23. Sweet post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I predict your steadfastness comes from coming through challenging experiences and growing your inner strength along with your faith.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm with you. I am not afraid of the future because I know who is in charge of the future. No matter what happens I know the end of the story. And it is good.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a powerful post. The older I get the less afraid I become.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  19. I admit to struggling against a stronghold of anxiety. I am terrified at times of facing experiences. (And what is a normal circumstance to others can strangle me.)

    So...
    It is by the grace of God alone that I'm just not afraid of the "future". Of that, I have an uncanny and incredible peace. I remember realizing it first on 9/11/01. I saw some faces of near panic on people that day and the days following. I was as horrified as everyone, but I had the most unbelievable feeling of calm that has never left.

    Oh, I might get *troubled* by current events, but it's a trouble of perspective and in comparison to my confidence is a blip on the radar screen.

    If you knew me, you would know what a powerful thing that God has done in my life to leave me with that peace. He is, indeed, my I AM.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle