Monday, November 22, 2010

Monday Musings ~ On Home

It is a glorious fall morning, cooler than usual for our neck of the woods. I am nestled in a favorite chair, savoring a steaming cup of coffee. Outside the window, dawn peeks over the trees in a smear of yellow and pink.

In minutes, sunlight stretches into the room in its familiar ribbons of gold, curling around the variegated croton in the windowsill, wrapping around the cascade of books spilling out of the bookshelf, before settling on an old photograph of my mom and dad.

Thanksgiving is just days away—a time when most people turn their thoughts toward home—and as autumn’s sun continues its dance across the room, picking out all of the things that make up my little dwelling, I am soothed by the simplicity of my possessions.




On one end of the hearth sits the old wire bottle rack I rescued from a scrap pile, now spilling over with chunks of firewood. And there’s the rusty bucket I brought home from the Ozarks, making a fine keeper of Texas pine cones these days.

Over in the corner, sprigs of eucalyptus attempt to dignify the ancient milk jug I purchased on a whim at a Mississippi remnant store. That was the same day I scooped up an old wooden box, complete with rusty handle. Its usefulness seems endless. This morning, it lends itself nicely to a pot of yellow mums.

I could carry you through all the rooms in my home, and you would see things similar to these. Old. Simple. Rough. Worn. None of my possessions are of great value. They won’t ever be hidden treasures discovered by future generations, nor drooled over by antique appraisers. Yet it is their plainness, their lack of frills, and their aged appearance that charm me so.

Several years ago, while searching for that perfect something to fill a barren spot just beyond my entry hall, I haunted vintage stores and antique shops, hoping something would catch my eye.

One afternoon, a young woman, seeking to be helpful, showed me a small mahogany table. While it appeared lovely to look upon, it seemed much too perfect, much too ornate to fit among my ordinary furnishings. So, I kept looking.

I drove by a neighborhood tag sale one morning and spotted a blanket chest—scuffed and flawed and very old. Perfect! Plunking down $20, I lugged it home and filled it with enough quilts and blankets to keep my family warm all winter.




When looking at the medley of things I have collected through the years, I am struck by the thought that my home is mostly filled with objects that have been cast out by others. I suppose I should feel a bit miffed about that, but, oddly enough, I find great solace in being surrounded by things with a history.

People often stop in and admire my home. They say things like, “Your house feels so—so warm and cozy.” And I think how lucky I am. Warm. Cozy. That is precisely what a home should feel like.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A version of this article first appeared in The Dallas Morning News. All rights reserved.

14 comments:

  1. 'Warm and cosy', that's what makes home 'home'to me. There is a sense of belonging and being safe. We have so much to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, Dayle. I agree with Mave - warm and cozy makes a home. I don't have a lot of fancy things (nor do I desire them). To me, simple is better, and like you I love having things that are connected to history.

    I wish you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving.

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I share your love of the rough and worn, things with a history that make a house warm, cozy, comfortable and welcoming. Thank you for sharing your corner of the world. It is truly lovely. Makes me feel right at home. Have a happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dayle,
    What a wonderful reflective posting today. It makes me stop and take stock of what fills my home, hand-me-downs from my grandparents, thrifty finds from the thrift store, and gifts from those I love... it what makes up my home.
    From your photos, I do find your home to be warm and cozy! God bless...
    Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  5. My entire cottage is filled with thing with memories. I have very very few NEW pieces. I love every one of my treasures, just like you do. :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dayle, I love to "reuse" items. I'm still learning how to do that, but getting better. Your table looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dayle...Nice post. My home, too, is filled with things from estate and yard sales, flea markets, etc. No one would EVER be able to tell. Your home is lovely, too. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good afternoon Dayle...
    What a lovely, calm and reflective post. I would say your home looks like a soft place to rest. Can I come for a visit? ;) Have a terrific day!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Warm. Cozy. That is precisely what your blog is too :) A very comfortable place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's exactly how I like a home to be - warm and cozy. Especially over here, we're forecast snow this week! I think your blanket chest was a bargain! Kathleen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dayle, your home is a haven of peace and beauty.
    Old and well-loved wood, glows all the more, for the eyes which shine His heart around the room! I love cast-offs. New birth waiting to be wanted..
    Our furniture is all old, secondhand or made by my husband. It has 'soul'.
    blessings...Trish

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dayle,
    I just loved this - what could be better than warm and cozy when describing the place where you spend most of your time? I have what they now call American comfortable. LOL! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends!

    ~Jean

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hand-me-downs, cast off's, secondhand, all have a history or story. That's what makes a house a home. And now it's your story and history.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely article.
    Old + Simple +Rough +Worn. = comforting

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle