Monday, November 1, 2010

Monday Musings ~ On the lovely San Antonio

If you've never been to San Antonio, you're missing something special. The Man and I have been coming to this lovely city, as a couple, since honeymooning here in 1980. We've returned many times since then, and never tire of its unique charm. We took a little trip here recently. I hope you enjoy this tour of some favorite spots.

You just can't go to San Antonio without going to Mi Tierra. Located in Market Square (El Mercado), it is a landmark Mexican restaurant, open 24 hours, 7 days a week. It has an onsite bakery and has been a popular place for locals and tourists alike, for 60+ years. (The wall on the right is not usually there; they were doing contstruction work in the square.)


Here's a view through one of the windows of Mi Tierra. It is the most festive place you've ever eaten. As they say on their own website, Mi Tierra is a "little loco and a lot of fun."


Year-round, Christmas lights and tinsel and baubles and beads are on full display.
You have to see it to believe it.

You're looking at Mi Tierra's bakery display cases.
There's always a line formed in front of them.

A feast for the eyes.

Even the ceiling screams, "Party!"

The Man studies the menu, while rooting for the Rangers. (A lot of good it's done.)

The menu. They also serve breakfast 24/7.

One of the amazing wall murals at Mi Tierra.

It's hard to be good when you're here.

Whenever we visit San Antonio, we park Cloud Nine at the beautiful KOA.

It is acres of natural beauty.

We don't normally travel with our granddog, Diesel, but since this was a quick getaway, we brought him along. Here he is enjoying the great outdoors with his papaw. He was a very good boy (Diesel, I mean. wink, wink).


One of the main attractions in San Antonio is the River Walk. It is beautiful by day ...

... shaded by some fabulous old trees ...

... and breathtaking by night.

A host of restaurants and hotels line the sides of the River Walk. Day or night, it is a place filled with laughter and music, with friendly conversations and the clinking of dishes on patio tables.


On any given night, you can take a ride in a magical carriage such as this.

Me and The Man, just above the River Walk, in the lovely and romantic city of San Antonio.

The Alamo is San Antonio's most popular tourist attraction. It is a sacred shrine to the brave men who lost their lives there.

I hope you enjoyed this tour of some of my favorite spots in San Antonio, Texas.

Linking up with Susan's Outdoor Wednesday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You're invited to join me on Thursdays.


A fabulous quilt link-up party is planned this weekend.
Hope to see you there.


23 comments:

  1. My hubby and I were blessed to live in San Antonio for one year, it is a wonderful place! I was good right up until Mi'tierra, MY ALL TIME FAVORITE place to eat!!!! Now I am suffering jealousy and envy in the worse way!

    I am supposed to visit there sometime with a friend who has a grandmother that lives there. Can you believe she visits there several times a year and has never been to Mi'tierra?? I must help her fix that!!

    Thanks for the memories that I had not thought of in a while and for the reminder that I must get that trip together soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this...my husband did the printing for Mi Terra for years!!! One of his favorite clients.
    Our sons were there this weekend to celebrate the ministry Blood and Fire's 11th year...an intercity ministry to the poor.
    This city holds so many memories for our family...I haven't been in years...this makes me want to go again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear a Little Debbie inside my head doing that whiney "I wanna goooooooo" thing.

    Seriously, from the beginning to the end of this post, you made me want to visit San Antonio. I would love to visit that restaurant, take a ride in that Cinderella coach, and walk that river walk thingy.

    And the Alamo. I need to see the Alama and do it with my daughters. We are all huge Davy Crockett fans in this house. Yes, I know the Alamo is not all about Davy, but we just love him.

    Anyway, I want to conquer my fear of flying and go there in the biggest way now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was in San Antonio many years ago and really liked it. Thanks for the memories!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you have totally sold me on wanting to visit this lovely city. The restaurant just sounds wonderful, but that road by the river? Just beautiful. Thanks for bringing us along. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to Trinity University in SA and loved it! Loved to see the pics of a great city!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pics! Thanks for visiting my blog.
    ~ Julie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never been but it's on my list for April 2011 when we visit my sister in Houston. Great pictures and yummy looking food!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband and I also honeymooned in San Antonio (1984). Yes, Mi Tierra is a must! Hubby had me serinated there.

    The Alamo, the Spanish Missions, the River Walk, a fabulous zoo, bontanical gardens - I could go on and on. While attending a conference in Houston a few years ago, an antendee from out of state asked my co-worker and I what Texas city would be the best to vacation in. Without hestiation we both said simultaneously, "San Antonio."

    Thanks for sharing these beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun get-away. I will now add it to my list of places I'd like to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I visited one of my best friends in San Antonio a couple of years ago during the summer. Took the train there from Michigan and it took forever and a day. :/ Loved San Antonio, the River Walk and the Alamo (where I had also visited as a child). We have some lovely pictures of our time spent there and great memories. :) Thanks for sharing yours! Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a fabulous place to visit. This is one of the things I love about blogging, I get to know about and see "real" places I never would otherwise. Kathleen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dayle,
    Thank you for the wonderful tour of San Antonio. It looks lovely...especially the river walk at night! Wow! I must put SA on my bucket list! :)

    ~Jean

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Dayle,

    Your week end look's wonderful! I have never been to San Antonio but would love to visit sometime. That mexican food looks AMAZING! Love, Love mexican food! and that river walk...well...who could resist that!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow-what a fascinating and colourful place! I love the pumpkin coach! You certainly look like you enjoyed your visit. Beautiful memories and photos! blessings..Trish

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like a lovely place to spend an anniversary/wedding/honeymoon. Looks like you two had a good time in San Antonio TX.
    Joyce M

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. gorgeous photos! i regret missing the chance of visiting San Antonio two years ago when i was in TX. i have friends living here, and i hope to see this beautiful city someday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love San Antonio! Been too long since I've visited. It's actually one of the places my hubby may end up in for residency. And I can't begin to tell you how much I miss Tex Mex food! Every time we go home (TX,)mexican food is our first stop. Looks like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love San Antonio! Some of my favorite people in the whole world live there and we had the pleasure of celebrating Independence Day there two years ago. Oh, the River Walk!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your photos are so lovely. I especially like the cookies in the case...lol....

    ReplyDelete
  22. I took my first trip to San Antonio in September. It is everything you've said. So beautiful! But, can you believe I went to San Antonio and didn't see The Alamo?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Some day I hope to make it to the San Antonio River Walk. It looks so interesting and beautiful. La

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle