Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New Year Musings


Another year is unfolding. It's nice knowing that the days ahead are waiting for us—unsoiled and unblemished. A fresh start. Whether it's losing weight, making wrongs right, letting go of old hurts or harmful habits, or just trying to be a better person, we can set out to do whatever we desire.

It sounds easy enough on paper, but change seldom comes easy. It requires commitment and, more importantly, desire. Unless desire is the driving force, you won’t change.

I’ve always been a fairly disciplined eater, never letting myself weigh more than a few pounds too much, but age brings unwanted surprises. Last March, while enjoying time away from home with The Man, I stepped on the scales (yeah, I may be the only person on the planet who carries scales in her RV), and I nearly fell off. I needed to lose 20 pounds! I still looked "okay" in my clothes. Most people would probably have still called me "thin," but I knew the harsh truth. My clothes had been hiding a multitude of sins, shall we say.

For several weeks, I blocked it out. I simply didn’t care enough to refuse that extra helping of ice-cream or that midnight snack. I had no desire to change my habits. I could still wear—well, sort of—my clothes, so no big deal.

But then came the day when I popped the button off yet another skirt, and suddenly found myself dismayed and fed up with the way my clothes were fitting (or not fitting, as it were). So there I stood, staring disgustingly into the mirror, when it felt like a switch went off in my head. Suddenly, I wanted to lose weight. I was sick and tired of looking like this, of feeling like this. Desire had triumphed. Half the battle was already won.

Upon returning home, I became a client of the Quick Weight Loss program and put my heart and soul into following the rules. In 9 weeks, I lost 18-1/2 pounds, by eating healthy, normal-from-the-grocery-store food. It wasn’t always easy, but nothing good comes easy. Today, I’ve maintained my weight-loss, and have changed my eating habits. I will never go back to the old me. Commitment and desire made all the difference.

Some people feel it's too late to make changes. They’ve established so many bad habits, and made so many poor choices, they see no way to rise above it all.

While we can’t live our lives over, I believe it's never too late to make positive changes. Does that mean results overnight? Certainly not, but heed this old Chinese proverb: "The man who removes a mountain begins by carrying away small stones."

I don’t know what you wish for in the new year, but I do know that desire and commitment will take you a long way toward where you want to go. Be prepared though. There will be bumps in the road. You may feel like giving up. But take comfort in knowing that we’re all alike. We are capricious human beings who must be brought back again and again to the point of our commitments. And that’s perfectly okay. The only ones who fail are those who stop trying.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope to see you for the Simple Pleasures party this week.

Please visit the Simple Pleasures page for updated guidelines.




9 comments:

  1. Great post Dayle. I can't even imagine you overweight. You and that sister of yours have such cute shapes.

    I love that Chinese proverb at the end. As a favorite team teacher used to say to me, it's not always a day at a time. Sometimes, it's literally a tick at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dayle. This was very encouraging to me on many levels. I must remember to keep moving one small stone at a time and not stop trying. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post, Dayle. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes start with carrying away small stones...such good words and great for the new year! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you, Dayle. That commitment definitely paid off for you. That was very encouraging. Susan p.s. By the way, like your new photo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you hit it on the head, when you said that you WANTED to lose weight. We have to want it and then CHOOSE to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dayle,
    Very encouraging post and I agree, you have to want to change. I just signed up for a "spinning class" (a stationary bike class!)and am looking forward to it so I can keep limber. :)

    ~Jean

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post! I think losing weight is so special because it is physical evidence that change is possible and equal to the amount of time, love and care we put into it. Sometimes a pound is more than a pound...it's an inspiration and invitation for even more change. :)

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle