Monday, March 28, 2011

On Friendships and Flowers ~ Monday Musings


As I strolled past a flower shop one morning, it occurred to me that flowers are much like my assortment of friends. There were tall, slender flowers, while others were short and plump. There were tiger lilies, bursting out boisterously, impossible to miss, while pastel tulips rested elegantly on a shelf, so modest and quiet, but exquisite.

The camellias drew me because of their sweet fragrance, refreshing and pure. Still others attracted me because of their weird and wonderful individuality.

I smiled as I realized that each flower was lovely in its own distinct way, just like my assortment of friends. Some are tall. Some are short. Some are loud. Some are quiet. Some are sweet. Some are, well, difficult to label. But they all are lovely in their unique way, filling my life with splashes of color, fragrance and beauty.

Spring is a time for cultivating flowers. Make it a time for cultivating friendships, as well.


16 comments:

  1. Lovely to compare flowers to friendships.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Dayle, that was a nice comparison. Loved it. Whether we have a "bouquet" or a single rose, like flowers, our friendships are very huge gifts in our lives. Hope your day is very blessed. I consider you a single, sweet pink rose! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I would like to be compared to a flower rather than, pleasingly plump. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way you said to make time for our friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post!!!

    Sometimes, also like flowers, some of our friendships are seasonal. I used to really grieve when friendships kind of drifted away because circumstances had changed. Then, I realized that not every friendship in our lives is supposed to be forever. Some, like the flowers, are for just a season...and they beautify our lives for the time that we can have them. That can be difficult and make us sad...just like when our beautiful gardens finish every year. But we will always have the memory of the friendships (just like the flowers), and we can look forward to what the next season will bring.

    Very sweet and inspiring post.

    Love,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful ................
    I love flowers the picture makes me long for warm days here so my flowers will bloom


    Dayle, I checked out the first book in the Mitford series

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet analogy! I have a very mixed bouquet! Come check out my post. I gave you a shout out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful. I relate to this because I would much rather have a variety bouquet of flowers than a bouquet of something like long stemmed roses. I feel the same about my friends.

    Just so you know... I'm the short but boisterous Tiger Lily.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Insightful comparison. Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful post, Dayle.

    Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dayle, what a sweet way to look at friends, even those we tolerate in small doses. :-)
    I've been missing visiting with all of you. I took a few minutes to play catch up tonight. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this analogy! Love the top picture too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dayle...what a beautiful comparison. I wouldn't mind being compared to a flower...I think I would be a bird of paradise...a bit showy but still strong when needed!

    Be blessed,

    ~Maria~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, a beautiful post and reminder...I am so thankful for my friends, who are flowers in the garden of life (a quote I came across)
    Spring Cheer!
    Joanne, who loves your simple pleasures series and can't wait to spend more time visiting!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle