Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Simple Pleasures ~ Two Men Talking


The Man and I recently had an occasion to be traveling late at night with my daughter and son-in-law along.

As the hours grew long, my daughter and I stretched out on the two couches in the RV, and my son-in-law hopped into the co-pilot’s seat.

While my daughter slept, I stared out into the night, thinking of God’s mercy and favor, and listening to snippets of conversation between the two men up front.

For miles, they talked and talked and talked. First about sports (they both love sports), and then they shared stories from their childhoods, of fishing and hunting, and the various dogs who kept them company through the years. Wonderful stories, all of them.

The sound of their voices and occasional laughter, on a lonely two-lane highway, filled me with an emotion that’s hard to describe, which is why I grabbed my camera and took the photo above. You can't see the men, but they're up there. It was one of those moments in time, a simple pleasure that appeared unexpectedly, and I wanted to remember it forever.



As always, thank you for slowing down with me on Thursdays, taking time to appreciate the simple pleasures that surround us, and sometimes pop up out of nowhere. Whether you link up, or just visit, you are a blessing. If you're new here, please read the guidelines at the Simple Pleasures tab under the header above. If you check back and discover your link has been deleted, it isn't personal. Please re-read the guidelines.


What's your simple pleasure?



23 comments:

  1. Dayle - these are priceless moments. There is nothing like being with family.

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like a day to stay in your jammies. That is mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the dark of the night I too can imagine their conversations and the joy in your heart as you enjoyed the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dayle,
    Lovely way to capture a memory of the heart :-)
    Thnaks for being our hostess :-))
    Hugs,
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's so great. i love how now you will be able to remember exactly what that dark blurry picture was representing. great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dayle,
    I love memories like this one. Knowing the bond between your husband and SIL is a strong one is precious. Thank you for hosting Simple Pleasures for us.

    ~Jean

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet ordinary moment - captured so perfectly, why we're "right there" in the RV ... smiling right along with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You "painted" a beautiful picture for us to enjoy.
    Your simple pleasure this week is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have loved that. I used to watch the easy friendship between my father and my husband, and it always made me feel happy. I really do pray that one day I get to see and hear that same thing with a son-in-law.

    Of course, I'm also thinking that taking a nap on a sofa while someone else drives is a pretty good pleasure all its own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your words really set the scene, and it felt all cosy and warm. Men can talk forever about sports can't they? I'd say this one was a special simple pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The joy of comradery! I have a few memories in which the sounds are central -- I can hear something and I'm back there in a second. You took us back with your words.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great simple pleasure....the picture will definitely serve as a reminder b/c it pulls me into your words of thinking....listening...hearing the two men talking. loved this. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dayle, that must've filled your heart with contentment as you watched and listened to your menfolk.
    A very special night to remember :-)
    Thanks for Simple Pleasures, it's always a joy to be here.
    bless you..Trish

    ReplyDelete
  14. I guess you were the fly on the wall this time. Love when men share things because sometimes we learn something we never knew from the ones we know the most.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for this opportunity to share.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sweet..... time with the family nothing like it !!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like you had a great trip! I am always the driver and don't like to drive at night so try to get where I am going before the sun gets too low in the sky. Hope you are having a great day. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love those unexpected moments, I agree with you Dayle, this is one not to forget. I have several in the cobwebs of my mind that I still remember.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Hugs,
    Cindy
    Have a great Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love those moments that forever imprint themselves in our hearts and minds!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm back.

    I have been sitting here in the hotel visiting the links. I just had to tell you how much I almost "need" this party. I've been very, very, out of sorts lately. I just told my husband how reading the other simple pleasures was like medicine. I know that sounds dramatic (but I'm a drama queen, so...) but they just have a very positive effect on me that I can't quite define.

    So I'm back to say thanks for this party. It's a ministry, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just reading this gives me that homey feeling like all is well with the world!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow Dayle, what a beautiful moment...and memory. So glad you shared that with me tonight.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle