Sunday, June 5, 2016

More Rain and Wet Carpet ~ But Blessings Abound

My dear, longsuffering friends, I’m certain you would be just as happy to not hear another syllable about the rainy weather in these parts. I cannot blame you, for no matter how much I crave the occasional rainy day, we have had quite more than our share in recent weeks. 


While there are those in certain areas who have experienced their homes being total losses, we have been fortunate to have only one bedroom with a damp floor. Considering that you're looking at part of our neighborhood earlier this week, that is, indeed, a blessing.

How the water seeped into the room, through the wall, around the foundation, I don’t know, but the good news is the damage appears minimal, and nothing was lost, except the carpet, of course, but that might be a blessing as hardwood flooring has been on my radar for some time now. We'll see. At the moment, we’re a bit displaced, and we’ve a smelly mess we're dealing with, but we are ever so grateful.

Rain, whether literally or figuratively, is simply a part of life. I’m reminded of the Scripture in Matthew where Jesus says: “But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven, for He causes the sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.” 

And let the people say, “Amen!”


I haven't much interesting to say these days, for the days are all starting to look the same. But nothing lasts forever; change will come. For now, all is quiet in the room that is my office, night has fallen on yet another gray day in the neighborhood. The rain came in soft sprinkles today, then in steady streams, leaving the air heavy with humidity. Alas, more rain is predicted this week.

I’ve written often about life’s storms, how one minute the landscape is in order, only to find it altered in drastic ways the next. Death, divorce, abandonment—all of these things reshape our lives. Afterwards, we are never quite the same.

But I also believe that those who’ve lived through stormy seasons, who’ve borne them with courage and grace, come out with a deeper appreciation for the ordinary things in life. The first light of dawn. The last glow of the sun as it slips below the horizon. The smell of morning. That first cup of coffee. A full moon rising. The sound of a child’s laughter. The touch of a loving hand. 

It is in the small things that I find great strength during the rainy seasons of life.

Until next time, sweet friends, may the sun shine upon you, wherever you are.


*** 



P.S. I don’t think I shared with you my latest published article. It appeared in Nashville’s paper, The Tennessean in May, both online and in print. It is a gentle essay about the heartbreaking disease of dementia and Alzheimer’s. You may recognize part of it from a blog post here, earlier this year. 




13 comments:

  1. Such a touching, heart wrenching piece you've shared...
    As one who witnessed the pain and heartbreak of Dementia firsthand as it stole my precious father from us, I applaud your ability to put not words the emotions and heartbreak it brings.
    A nurse told us...it is the disease that takes your loved one twice...first as the mind leaves you behind, then finally as you lose your loved one to death.
    I found it as sort of a circle of life...this big, strong man...who once cared for me...became like a child, looking to me for guidance through the confusion that enveloped his mind.
    There were days he called me...two or three times...asking if I had seen his mother...and I responded with love...reassuring him she was fine. Perhaps she was at the hairdresser, I told him. And that calmed him. For a time. My children asked me how I could do this, day after day, so patiently. I responded...Did he not do this for me? Did he not feed me over and over each time I cried as a baby? Did he not asp swear my questions as a young child, even as I asked them over and over? Of course I will do this for him. As long as he asks, I will answer. I will reassure him. I will love him.
    God granted us a blessing. As my father's body began to fail, his mind returned. And for those last week's of his life, he came back to us! As if to say goodbye.
    He knew us, he smiled, he joked, he was at peace. The last day...he glanced out his window at the snow...and suggested we...his daughters...get going. He gently leaned forward to brush our lips goodbye.
    I wish I would have realized that is what he was doing. Saying goodbye. He wanted to be alone...And that he was. He was at peace as he entered the next phase...as he went to Heaven.
    Sorry to take so much space... Thanks for writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Billie Jo, between you and Dayle, I am so touched. My father had dementia, too.
      At first I didn't realize it but as it continued to get worse, we all knew.
      Your love for your father is beautiful. Your patience with him, inspiring.

      Both Dayle and you have touched my heart.

      Delete
    2. Billie Jo, this was so bittersweet. What a wonderful daughter you are.

      Delete
  2. "Into each life, some rain shall fall..." Oh Dayle, I wish you sunshine. Actually, today, even here,in my little corner of the world, rain is falling and it is on the dark side. I love the cool air, though, and the sounds and smells of rain. So sorry about your rug but even there, it seems like there is a silver lining, right? You just might get the wood floor yet! Alzheimer's is a devastation for sure. It impacts not just the person but the entire family and friends, too. A most moving piece of writing. Your words touch the human heart. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending Texas prayers for relief and healing.
    Sending you hugs for your sweet words of comfort to me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you are facing the Deluge, we are entering a period of Drought. If only we could share a little, back and forth.
    I spend time every day with my mother who has Alzheimer's Disease. I will read your post. One of the saddest things about this disease is that there is really no treatment, just care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can certainly identify with what you said about discovering a deeper appreciation for the ordinary. 'Just wish I 'remembered' it more often!

    Love that verse from James. Won't you please keep us updated on your neighbor's circumstance?

    PS - Continued prayers for Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a wonderful writer you are, Dayle. Your blog post and your article both touched my heart. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Storms have marched through here almost every afternoon, a typical summer that we haven't experienced in a while. I pray the sunshine breaks through the clouds soon.

    Thank you for reminding me to make it count. All of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. While you are washing away over there, we are drying up ready to be blown away in the wind... if only we could share. LOVED your article. As always I am soo amazed at your writing. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could definitely relate to your wonderfully written article as well, Dayle. We brought my husband's mother down to NC from OH when she could no longer stay alone after her diagnosis. She had spent much of her life caring for others, always visiting the nursing homes, etc. and when she was first there in the Alzheimer's unit, she actually thought she was on staff! Sometimes you just have to laugh to keep from crying. Several months later, she fractured a hip as a result of a fall and she was gone in a matter of wweks...a blessing in disguise, really. It seems like more and more, this diagnosis is affecting families all over. Thank you for sharing the whole article. So good to hear you have had minimal damage from all of that rain...praying for those who haven't been so fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm usually one who loves rainy days. But as always, too much of a good thing — or anything for that matter, can be a royal pain. Thoughts with you and those in the crook of Florida as more rain falls and storms are strong. You are right, morning will come.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle