Thursday, July 27, 2017

Simple Pleasures ~ July's Gifts

Dear friends, one day led to two, then a week, then four. I have not fallen off the planet, nor have I run away from home. Should the latter occur, you'll be the first to know. So far, my people are stuck with me. As for this blog, well, I keep thinking something will get me back in gear but I find it continues to be less and less a priority. Time will tell.

In the meantime, how have you been? I do miss you all and am happy that a few of you have connected with me on Facebook, which is where I can be found, albeit sporadically. 

Life just seems to be zooming by so fast that I seldom have enough stretches of quiet in my world to put my thoughts to paper. Throughout the day, I often write in my head though, thinking I will put it all together in some cohesive way, but then I'm distracted and there goes the plan right out the window. Frankly, I could use a vacation.

Despite living at a faster pace these days, I continue looking for snapshots of beauty, for those simple pleasures that are easily missed in the rush of our lives. 

Here are a few of July's special offerings. I hope you like them as much as I do.

Some days, you just need peace.


I can't explain why I feel peace whenever I look at these settings. 
Maybe that's why the artists call it "still life."


Some days you just need the beautiful.


Is there anything more beautiful than flowers? I look at the intricate creation of roses and hydrangeas and I'm reminded of summers visiting my grandparents in West Point, Mississippi. Granddaddy always had roses and hydrangeas in the yard.


 You can't see them well in this photo, but they are there.


My maternal grandmother was a blend of harsh and hilarious. 
I miss her still. 


One evening, I got caught in a rainstorm on the way to church. I pulled into a parking lot, next to the landscaped curb, and a purple flower flew up and landed on my window. There's beauty everywhere. That's what it said to me.


Big or little, short or tall, if it's a tomato I love them all, especially when they're fresh from the farmer's market.


To watch the growth of a plant is to know that nurturing plants, or relationships, is the only way to keep them alive.


Some nights lately, sleep just won't come. Such was the morning when I caught a glimpse of the mantel, just after sunrise. Seeing how the sun picks out this and that, casting each, even for a moment, in its best possible light, reminded me that we can look at people and always find their ugly side, but how much sweeter life is whenever we look for the good in others, just as we hope they do in us. 


As ironic as it may sound, on the same morning, while coffee brewed, I reached for a chocolate and found this little note inside. Mission accomplished.


I am blessed to live an hour and a few minutes from the Gulf. This butterfly kite was the highlight of a recent afternoon by the water.

***

Until next time, dear friends, whether it's a day or a week or a month from now when we meet again in this quiet space, here's wishing you the joy of finding simple pleasures.

***


Linking up with Home Sweet Home.


13 comments:

  1. Such lovely photos, Dayle. Your blog, itself, is a simple pleasure. Whenever you are able to write, it is a pleasure to read. You are such a talented writer. Keep happy for the rest of summer! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always have a way of making me feel peaceful when I read your blog, Dayle. Thanks for sharing little snippets of beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harsh and hilarious are perfect descriptors making me smile as I think about my own grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am happy to see a post from you here, Dayle. I was thinking about you yesterday---that I needed to 'come find you'. I haven't been in blogland nearly as much lately either. It has been a busy time of life for us, too. Hope you have a great rest of the month. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos are so delightful.
    Your Home and You, capture the sunlight in a way that is CALMING. The mantel is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your blog was so calming to me today!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the way you find beauty! Even a flower in a rain storm. I like old pictures of family, always wondering what life was like back then. Picture of tomatoes is memorable

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was so nice to see a post from you! God bless you, sweet friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful and calming, my friend.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your words and images never fail to lift my spirits.

    On a silly note ... can you look back on these precious images and tell me who's Dayle and who's Gayle? I keep trying to discern, to no avail. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Myra ... to answer your question, that is me on the left and Gayle on the right. We are pretty much identical there for sure.

      Delete
  11. Simple pleasures - I'm with you. It's seeing beauty in the little everyday things. Love the pictures, especially the purple flower in the rain that landed on your window. I love nature and watching plants, flowers grow - Enjoy the rest of the summer Dayle

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle